A new year, new resolution. New resolutions, new disappointments. Everyone loves to make these big resolutions about how they're going change. How they're going to lose weight, be a better person, that kind of stuff. Unfortunately, as soon as the holidays end and you return to the monotony of school or work, all your plans go out the window, why? Everyone wants to improve but very few people actually accomplish they're goals. How do these people do it? What makes them so special? Nothing, they're regular people like you and me, but they posses a secret skill that's been hiding in plain sight. It's what allows them to buckle down and get stuff done and achieve their goals. What is this super secret skill? Everyone knows what it is but they pass it by. I only recently took this skill and used it to my advantage. That horrible thing called Time Management. We hear it from teachers all the time. "You'd get more stuff done if you used your time wisely!" They say. Well you can refuse it all you want but they're absolutely right. I wrote most of a novel in 30 short days last November, that was a test in time management. If you look closely at your daily routines, you can clearly see where time isn't being used to it's fullest extent. I'm a huge procrastinator, ask any of my teachers, so I almost always have time to get stuff done. I could go on defending why I waste time when it comes to school but that's not my point here. My point is, even teenagers with packed schedules can get stuff done with these two words in mind.
Nothing important comes without a price to pay. This is what always trips up us procrastinators out there. We don't want to give some things up, especially our Me Time. Last November I learned that I had to give up a few things in order to even make a dent in the novel. What I gave up that month was time at the radio station that I love, I gave up some of my reflection time, where I normally examine my life and figure out what to do about my problems and how to do my homework more efficiently (Read: Daydreaming). Now, I love the station dearly but I didn't have to put in 10+ hours a week. My reflection time was a little harder to give up. That time is when I unwind or solve my problems. Also its when I decide what I want to write my next story about. Unfortunately, brainstorming isn't writing so I gave that time up.
What can you give up? There's always something. I know that it can be hard, none of us want to sacrifice things we love for far off goals, but they won't get done if we don't do it ourselves. It's just a matter of where are your priorities? So, if you can be willing on making a few sacrifices to achieve some goal, I'll be happy to do it alongside you. I'm not saying I'll be working on the same goal as you but, I'll make a goal and stick with it if you will? Mine would have to be, improving some of my low grades, and I'm not just saying that because some teachers read this. What are YOUR resolutions for 2011?
5 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment